Saturday, February 19, 2011

How to Do Your Hair Like Aria Montgomery from Pretty Little Liars

Aria's Voluminous Everyday Look. This tutorial is based off of a video I saw on ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars site (it's no longer available).
  1. If you have medium or fine hair, wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. ABC Family recommended Tresemme 24 Hour Body Shampoo and Conditioner. I like Paul Mitchell Extra Body Shampoo & Conditioner. If you have thick hair, you don't need a shampoo and conditioner that gives extra body. 
  2. Towel blot your hair and and then work a palmful of mousse through your hair. In the video they used Tresemme 24 Hour Body Mousse. I'm a PM fan though and if you are too, try the sculpting foam (extra body variety for volume). 
  3. Flip your head upside down and blow dry your hair on low until it's maybe half as wet as before. This step is optional, but it will speed up the round brushing.
  4. Blow dry with a round brush on medium or low heat. Take a section as thick as the core of your round brush and two to four inches wide. Start on one side of your head and work top to bottom column by column. As you finish a section, flip it over the top of your head for more volume. Make sure the nozzle on your blowdryer (use a vent attachment!) is angled so the air bows from roots to ends. If you point it ends to roots, it will rough up the cuticle, causing frizz, and who wants that?
  5. Using a 1-inch curling iron, take sections two inches wide and an inch thick. Curl and clip in place (see the type of clips I use here). 
  6. Once you have finished curling your hair, let it cool for about five minutes. 
  7. Set with finishing spray. In the video they used Tresemme 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray, though--as usual--I prefer Paul Mitchell
  8. Take out all the clips. Part your hair, gently brush out the curls, spray your hair again with the finishing spray, and voila!


Aria's Headband Look in Salt Meets Wounds. I based this tutorial off of a video on ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars site which is no longer there.
  1. Wash your hair with a moisturizing shampoo. The video recommended Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. Paul Mitchell also has a great moisturizing shampoo & conditioner (yeah, I know, could I shut up already about Paul Mitchell? I just love them okay! Or maybe I'm just brainwashed because I went to a Paul Mitchell hair school). 
  2. Brush your hair and then apply a palmful of light mousse. In the video they used Tressemme Naturals Lightweight Mousse but FYI, Hydrocream Whip is the best stuff ever.
  3. Put a nozzle on your hairdryer and blow dry with a flat brush (try a #413 or a #427). Once dry, apply a dime-size blob of smoothing cream to your hair to tame fly aways and frizz and add shine. In the video, they used Tresemme Anti-Frizz Secret Smoothing Cream; but I'd use Relaxing Balm, Super Skinny Serum, Gloss Drops for this style.
  4. Flat iron 1-in thick, 3-in wide sections of your hair to get it extra smooth from roots to ends. To do this, turn on your flat iron on the higher temperature side, then very slowly and glide over each section twice.
  5. Part your hair to the side and put on the headband. Arrange your hair with a comb as shown in the picture (if you're not sure what that means: backcomb the hair behind the headband and smooth back, then swoop a strand of hair to the side as shown).
I'm thinking that a video tutorial would be helpful. Who's interested?

**Note: While I have linked to Paul Mitchell products on Amazon to show you what they look like, I do not recommend buying Paul Mitchell product online unless you know something I don't. Paul Mitchell only sells their inventory to licensed professionals, so if you obtain Paul Mitchell products from any place other than a salon or licensed stylist, it could be a diverted product. Diverted products are stolen and watered-down or fake and knock-offs. In either case, only God knows what kind of crap is in it or what it will do to your hair.

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering, are you advertising for Tresemme or is it really the best thing for this style? I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner and I really like it, but I'm trying to make sure it's best for what I want my hair to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggested Tresemme because the video that ABC Family released on how to do your hair like Aria's suggested Tresemme so I went with that. The exact products you would need would depend on what your hair type is. With finer hair, you could probably use another brand of bodifying shampoo & conditioner and if you have thicker hair, you probably wouldn't need to worry about if your product will give you volume and body at all.

      My personal preference for hair products is the Paul Mitchell line, probably because I went to a Paul Mitchell school and got all brainwashed haha :P

      Delete
  2. heyy my name is Alicia and i am a big fan of Pretty little liars and aria is my Fav character on the show...i just love her personality and i really like the way tht she does her hair...how to do curl it like that... if u could pls email me on how thtd be great; my email is: stunning_saylor@live.ca

    ReplyDelete