Thursday, January 20, 2011

How to Be a Country Girl

Some people don't like articles like this because they reek of poseur. Let me just say that this is not to help you fake 'countrification,' change who you are, or in some other way be someone you are not. This is for people who already are, but need help expressing their personality.

You are already country if most of the following are true about you:
  • You enjoy some or all country music. And not just Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift. Nothing against them of course, but if their music is the only country music you like, then you are not as country as you may think.
  • You like farms, ranches, and the country. If you think manure smells bad, a walk down a country road at night is scary, or you are in some other way uncomfortable or dislike anywhere that is not 'citified,' you are not country.
  • You like animals, but have no problem with them being used for food and other things. Not a militant animal rights activist or vegan. 
  • You think country boys are sexy (actually this one doesn't exactly count cuz anyone who doesn't think Josh Turner is hot has something wrong with them). 
  • You'd rather live in the country or a small town than in the 'burbs or a city. 
  • You prefer American-made products to Chinese sweatshop creations. 
  • You believe in God.
  • You're proud to be an American. 
  • You think there is nothing better or more honorable than serving your country, raising a family, and everyday life.
  • You'd rather work a field or ride a horse than sit in an office all day or get a manicure.
If you still think you're country after all that, and are waiting for the actual instructions, here y'are.



Live in the Country. You do not need to live on eighty acres fifteen (or fifty!) miles from the nearest town, but you do need to live in a small town at least, preferably a small town that you're from. Oh and a 'small town' means less than ten thousand residents, if not less than five thousand. If you can (and want to) live on a farm or ranch, more power to you. You should already have a small town attitude: friendly, polite, no tailgating, no road rage, and no desire to have big box stores, Starbucks, McDonalds and/or malls anywhere nearby.

Get a Strong and Healthy Body. No need to be model thin, but not overweight either. Use this BMI calculator to find out if you are at a healthy weight. If you are overweight, lose weight the healthy way. If you are model thin or at a healthy weight, continue to eat healthy and build lean muscle because country girls are usually tough, but sweet and they can hold their own. 

Very Little or No Makeup. You don't need to wear a lot of makeup, or even any at all, if you don't feel like it. Just take care of your skin. If you want to wear makeup, save the red lipstick for special occasions, and go with a natural makeup look. (See "How to Apply Natural Looking Makeup")

Fresh, Natural, Touchable Hair. You want to keep your hair natural looking, as well. It doesn't matter what type of hair you have, and although curls are stereotypically more 'country,' these hairstyles can be worn with straight and wavy hair, as well. Keep your hair clean, medium or long, and get regular trims. If you want to do something more, there are a lot of different things you can try. Try lots of different kinds of braids: French braid, English braid, fishtail, etc. Either make one long braid down your back, or divide your hair down the middle and make two braids. Pull your hair back in a ponytail or try two low pigtails. You could also try a messy bun or just keep your hair loose.


What to Wear. This section got too long, so I moved it to its own page. See How to Dress Like a Country Girl.

Personality and Attitude. There are a lot of stereotypes regarding country girls, but really all you need to be is happy, down to earth, natural, polite, and friendly. But these are all positive attributes that would benefit anyone. Just be the best version of yourself.

Fun 'Country' Activities. Naturally you should do the things that make you happy, but here are some fun things you can try.
  • Spend Time Outdoors. Go hiking, watch the sunset, ride an ATV, explore nature, hang out at the lake, ride horses, take a long walk down a country road, etc. If you can't or don't want to do that, do some farm-type things. Plant a garden full of vegetables. Go to a U-pick-it farm, buy some of their produce, then learn how to preserve it (canning, drying it, etc). Go hunting, mudding, fishing, camping, and dancing.
  • Get Familiar With Sports. Like football and baseball. Learn how to play, get familiar with the rules of the game, and watch local games and catch it on TV. If you find you enjoy it, get familiar with the teams and players and find your favorites. Personally, I like the Broncos and the Diamondbacks.
  • Develop a Relationship With God. Pray, read the Bible (and the Book of Mormon if you are so inclined), go to church, spend time with nature, etc. 
  • Learn to Cook. Get especially good at old fashioned recipes such as cornbread, biscuits, baked beans, fried chicken, all kinds of pie, ham, both mashed and baked potatoes, gravy, roast, bacon, eggs, pancakes and waffles, salads, puddings, cake, cookies, ice cream, and so on. Be able to cook all of it from scratch. 
  • Spend Time With Animals. Get a job on a working ranch or farm or ranch if you like. Get a dog or some barn cats. Raise some chickens and larger livestock if you can. 
  • Listen to Country Music. You can listen to other things too, just get familiar with country artists. Listen to your local country radio station. I won't say much about it here or it will get out of control like the fashion part of this article. Instead, read my How to Find Good Country Music article and my other country music posts. 
  • Learn to Play the Guitar. You'll be able to play your favorite country songs, especially around a campfire in the woods.
Tips: Don't be afraid to get dirty. Be laid back. Be a hard worker. Don't have an attitude. Be loyal to your family. And enjoy them country boys! :P

Good luck!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a boy, but I liked your article. Most of the same priciples apply to what makes a country boy.
    But what I'd like to know, is where did you get that picture of the country girl with the guitar? Better yet, who is she? She's cute ;)

    - Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I am working on being a country girl. I live in California, on 44 acres in a small down home town. I have two goats, two dogs, and a cat. A lot of people say that you can't be a country girl if you live in California. Is that true? By the way, great article. I was also wondering if you could post more about good activities for country girls, besides just the standard fishing, camping, mudding, etc. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of Brantley Gilbert, "Country must be country wide." So no I don't see how living in California makes you not a country girl if you're living like one ("It ain't where, it's how you live").

      And as for your request, I'll see what I can come up with :)

      Delete
  3. I live in a small town and I believe that I'm country but my mom seems to think I ain't and says that I don't have this or that and I'm not a country girl but all my friends are like do you have a ranch or somethin'? And I listen to country music and so does my mom and I dress cowgirlish and I know how to ride a horse and I have two In fact. I just think my mom doesn't want me to be a cowgirl like how she was a roper back in high school but, hey, I love everything about me and I ain't afraid to do any hard work at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know you personally of course, but from what you've said it sounds to me like you are, regardless of what your mom thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when people say that i'm a city girl when I live in West Virginia. If I were a city girl I would live in California or somewhere like that.

    ReplyDelete